Monday, July 9, 2012

Water Damage




So clear back in January Brook woke me up in the wee hours of the morning to inform me "There is something going on with the ceiling downstairs."  Seriously, that is how she said it.  I didn't get a picture of the ceiling hanging down, frankly in my sleep stupor and anxiety to get the mess cleaned up I didn't even think about it.
We don't know how long the ice-maker was leaking but I am just grateful it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  (A few years ago a friend had a water problem while they were out of town.  That was a houseowners nightmare, this was nothing in comparison.)

We pulled up the floor under the stove and fridge.  (I used this opportunity to clean along side the appliances and the cabinets beside them.  It always amazes me how yucky those places can get.)

 Took down the wet ceiling.
( I wish I had a pretty office area.  I try but my whole family uses this area and it doesn't stay looking nice for long.  I just remind myself that I would rather have my family around than have a perfectly kept house.)


and let it dry out using fans for a week or so.  We were really very lucky that the damage was contained to a small area.  We didn't have to take out the cabinet to dry it out or demolish the pantry wall.  Having it open underneath in the family room did the trick.

Everything upstairs was put back in order long ago, but there is still a gaping hole in the ceiling of the family room.  It's been 6 months, I don't even notice it anymore.  I realize that is not a good thing.  The time to fix it is well overdue! And now that it is hot I am REALLY missing the icemaker- maybe I'll scoot on down to the Sonic and pick me up a bag of ice!

No comments: