Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Goal Setting





I am not a January 1st-New Year's Resolution type of girl.  January doesn't fall at the beginning of anything for me other than a page on the calendar.  It's not that I don't set goals for myself during this time, it's just that I prefer to do it at two other times during the year.  These times are at the start of summer and at the start of the school year.  
 
These are the times that I can implement changes not only for myself, but for my family as well.  We try again to make sure the laundry is sorted in the laundry room every night and get back on the band wagon with our Family Home Evenings. One of the things I like to implement when school starts and when summer starts is new bedtimes.  I love this.  Summer is always great because of getting to stay up later and sleep in a little longer too, but it gets old pretty fast and I am always ready to get back to an earlier schedule for school.
 
These times work well for me with my personal goals as well.  For instance, I made a goal last year to get up and make breakfast for my child who attends early morning seminary.  It was good for me to start with the school year because the sun was still up that early in the morning.  If I had tried to start it in January, when it is so very dark in the morning, I do not think I would have been able to do it.  I also like these times as I work on something that needs organizing around my home.
 
My personal goals are in the works at all times of the year.  If I feel like there is an area I should be working on, I don't want to wait until some future date to start.  Usually I feel excited about doing something new or accomplishing something that is hard for me, so I like to get right on it.  I am one of those people that has to jump right into the cold water; if I hesitate, it isn't going to happen.  It is the same thing when I am trying something new.
 
There really isn't a best time of year to set goals, just better times for goals in different areas of my life.

No comments: