Thursday, March 22, 2012

Anniversary Trip 22 years and counting


John found an incredible deal on flights with a small catch, they had to be used on a specific date.  It turns out that what could have been a deal breaker was really a deal maker.  The dates specified fell exactly on our anniversary.  The date also meant that we could only go overnight so rather than spend a lot of time travelling, we picked someplace close.  We got the earliest and shortest flight possible. We were going back to Portland.  We had been there in September after Robyn's wedding but we didn't get to see anything.
So we awoke in the wee hours of the morning and took off while it was still dark and arrived in Portland with plenty of time for breakfast.  We rented a car and had a great time.

  (On a side note, John has been looking into buying a particular car so he made sure that was what we rented.  It was a two-day test drive.  Now he thinks that is the only way to do it.)

While John was making reservations for the hotel he asked me  "Would you like to upgrade the room to get a whirlpool bath tub?"  Duh.  Do you really have to ask?  This was one part of the trip I was really looking forward to!  When we arrived at the hotel the first thing I did was check out the bathroom.  It was right by the door and I flipped on the light. I was a little bit bummed at the tiny shower.
Then I heard John laughing and went to investigate.  I couldn't believe what I saw.  The tub was in the room and was bigger than the bed!  Yes!


We went to the science center and saw this exhibit.
Most of it was very fascinating but then I like gross medical stuff.  
(I even kept a video of my hip surgery.)
I learned a lot which was the whole purpose of the exhibit but I felt some of it was done in poor taste.  I wouldn't take small children (it's a bit scary looking) or anyone the least bit squeemish.  There is a lot of reading neccessary so plan on spending time there.


I had a shopping list for Powell's bookstore.  We stayed for hours.  I had a hard time sticking to my list and whittling down my selections. 
This place is HUGE.  It takes up a whole city block and then some.  It has several floors and I found myself lost and wandering around until I realized that it is arranged according to the Dewey Decimal System.  (Thank you Mr. Dewey.)

We were completely worn out after having to get up so early.  We ate dinner and were back at the hotel early.  It was so quiet.  I enjoyed my bath time.  There was no one to ask me to proof read, or sign a permission slip or ask what the menu was for the next day.  Ahhh. I think I need to put a TV in my bathroom. It was so nice to just sit, relax and veg-out with the TV for a while.

The next day we spent a lot of time in the car seeing the country side. We were feeling a little adventurous and decided to check the GPS for a restaurant close by.  When this place came up on the list, I knew we had to go there! 
Who-Song and Larry's Mexican Restaurant and Cantina!
I love the mix of culture you find on the Coast but this...this was too funny!  We didn't get to eat there because of my stupid shell fish issues.  We had ordered drinks and started eating the warm tortilla chips when the first symptoms started.  (Why do so many restaurants cook everything in the same place.  Is it really that hard to designate a spot on the grill or a frying pan that is fish free?  I just want some good food without contamination.  Is that too much to ask?) I'll stop ranting now.  I was glad epinephrine works so well.  We ended up grabbing burgers at Five Guys.

We took a late afternoon flight home.  It was a nice time together and nice to remember that we are friends and not just household partners.

No comments: