Thursday, March 1, 2012

More Fall Sports, An Eclipse and a Guitar


Sierra (green shorts #20) played soccer on the high school team.  Sierra isn't very big and I was amazed at how strong she got by the middle of the season.  At first she would get pushed around but then she suddenly became ripped and was giving as much as she was taking.  It was fun to see her really get in there and fight for her position on the ball.  Good Job!





I woke up in the very wee hours of the morning and had that uncomfortable "mom feeling".  (the one you get when you know that there is something going on with your kids.)  I knew for some reason my children were not in their beds.  I went out to look for them and found this note in the kitchen.

They had gotten up to see the eclipse but it was too low on the horizon to see past the mountain.  Grammy loaded everyone up in their pajamas and drove out to the valley so they could see it.  I was disappointed that they didn't wake me and take me with them but then I thought it was a great time for just Grammy and the kids.  I am sure it will be one of the memories they talk about forever.


The kids have a lawn mowing business and make a few hundred dollars every summer.  John and I try to teach them to be responsible with their money and to help them we often ask the question, "What do you have to show for it?"  Meaning, what did you spend your money on and was it worth it?  Hailey spent a good chunk of her cash on a gift for herself, a guitar that is sized for her.  Brook and I both play a little and she was trying to learn but it was hard for her to play the full sized versions.  We went to the music store and played several until we found one that sounded good.  It was a few dollars more but she didn't want to buy one that sounded "ping-y".  She found this Taylor with a nice, rich sound even with its small size.  Then we found out when it was time to pay for it that it came with the case!  Score!


We have been having a lot of fun with it.  Maybe one day she will be famous and she can say she bought her first guitar at the age of 9 with money she earned mowing lawns!

No comments: